Wednesday 15 April 2020

My reviews of Shadow Hearts, Covenant & From The New World


- Shadow Hearts
If i could choose only one game that would get remade I would pick shadow hearts 1 for sure
there is no other game that deserves it more! Why? Simple answer: Yuri & Alice.

After experiencing Covenant I just had to play shadow hearts 1. I wanted to find out everything about Yuri and Alice and it made the issues that this game has vanished as if they were never there!

I was reading every single word of text with the life that Covenant had I almost imagined yuri's and alice's voice in my head! Basing on its story alone i think Shadow Hearts has one of the best stories ever in a videogame, best couple for sure!

So more about the game:
First easy thing to see is that graphics weren't up to standards. Initial cut-scene was unique and I liked it but afterwards you do see it as outdated, it like a mix between ps1 and ps2 graphics.

Although saying that the backgrounds still looked really good.
Character models aren't that great , wished they looked better or were more smooth as some felt a bit rough.

My biggest issue about the game would be the lack of cut scenes I think there were only about 8 of them, for what there was they were mostly good but then there was one with a woman playing a violin which is a bit pointless even if it was nice. I just wished for more Yuri & Alice voices.

The battle system was simple like a traditional turned base rpg but with a new twist called a judgement ring only slight bit I didn't like was that the judgement ring wasn't fully visible.

Soundtrack is great I can't fault it at all either amazing, awesome or beautiful.

I liked the two endings with for getting the good one it is required doing extra stuff. It felt very rewarding as you get some of Yuri and Alice's best moments.

So overall even if the game had some issues (lacked voices / graphics weren't at the standard)
but Yuri & Alice story makes it more than worthwhile and the story may be the best of the series.

My Score  10/10

Shadow Hearts 1 is the most expensive game that I have ever bought!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Shadow Hearts Covenant

I can't say anything bad about the game because its pretty much very close to a perfect game there aren't any major faults. There are only maybe real minor things I could criticise on.
So let's get into it but first of all the good things:

Covenant pretty much fixed the issues that the original had, a better judgement ring which was much more visible. It had customisation options in settings or with power ups etc... which was welcomed.
The additional of combos are good as well although I never felt like they mattered too much except for speed runs or when your under powered.

Crests another great addition and other skills and equipment picked up by side quests.
Very easy to customise party members to heal or increase attack or spells that certain foes in an area are weak too! I would've liked to kept some skills to be unlocked by levelling up which is gone in this game but it is not something that I overly care about.

Graphics another massive improvement from original, from gameplay to many scenes that were just beautiful like wow.

Soundtrack is great too continues from the original just fantastic very unique doesn't feel like typical rpg music.

Long game too which is great you can easily spend 50+ hours in it!

One minor dislike is the multiple endings it is only two questions that make either ending. (Shadow Hearts 1 did it better.)

One of the other things that I like about Shadow Hearts that it is a bit more realistic than other rpgs still fiction of course but having locations or set in time periods I feel that helps to build a connection to the characters.

Overall fantastic story beautiful cut scenes long game great soundtrack.
Is there any more else to say? No its simply a masterpiece

My Score : 10/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Shadow Hearts: From The New World

Its not like it was a bad game it even almost improved on every aspect from Covenant quality of gameplay and graphics wise (although odd area looked a bit boring).
Combos felt like they mattered more. It felt like if you weren't at the top of your game at times you can loose.
But it just didn't live up to the previous titles with it's story and characters.
It felt more like a gimick rather than a sequel or a spin off.
The tone was very different, night and day when comparing the original to this game.
Big thing was I didn't overly like the main characters I was just didn't care and was bored of them at times.
I felt more for the baddies Killer & Lady they were better more interesting and more emotion from them, the best scenes of the game had them in it.
Also why wasn't Halley & Koudelka featured in the game when the end of Shadow Hearts 1 had them going to America....
But instead Lenny & Roger Bacon also Joachim... something happened to his voice! A real missed opertunity
Gameplay there was good amount to collect and do, nice sidequests even if they weren't as deep compared to Covenant.
Monster designed was decent enough for the series.
With no Yuri or Alice in From the new world, this game was like missing the heart/soul in the story.
maybe it could have worked if it featured another character from the previous games? who knows...
If it was just based on the quality of the gameplay and graphics it is great but story parts good a lot of others meh...

My score: Story 7/10 Gameplay 10/10
I don't care that I give it two different scores! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment